Alicat Scientific - Bioprocessing & Bioreactors
Scalable mass flow control for bioreactor and fermenter applications
As your process moves rapidly from R&D through to full scale production, repeatable & scalable flow control for bioprocessing is crucial for successful production of biologics and biosimilars. Robust process control creates consistent bioreactor and fermenter yields, and easy integration with a Pharma 4.0 setup can ensure data integrity while smoothing the transition through process development stages.
Alicat Scientific has put together a great collection of articles and white papers addressing options that cover topics from environmental impacts to maximizing effieciency and the thought process behind the choice of SUBs. (Single-Use Bioreactors)
Click on any article below to learn more!
Alicat Mass Flow Instruments - The Search for Fast Flow Measurement
For Research Scientists:
When you need flexibility to experiment with cell lines and seed trains, and the equipment to ensure the integrity of your experiments, a single flow controller can meet your flow ranges for any gas or gas blend, without requiring recalibration. This saves cost and benchtop space, so you have room for all of your equipment.
You’re the fermentation expert, or the biochemist, or the cell biologist, so let us handle the flows. Give us a call, and an engineer will answer the phone to provide the flow science expertise you need – so you can focus on your experiments.
Device recommendation: MC-Series
MC-Series flow controllers are simple, low-cost solutions, which will enable your research to move forward quickly and easily. They’re robust enough to handle a splash of media, and fully configurable to meet all of your needs.
- Accurate, precise, and repeatable: Alicats are accurate to ± 0.6% of reading or ± 0.1% of full scale (whichever is greater), and can read flows down to to 0.001 mL/min and up to 5,000 L/min.
- Gas Select: You can switch the device between 98 pre-loaded gases, or your own blends, without recalibrating, enabling you to control the feeds of oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and air into your culture with just a button click.
- Operating range: A 10,000:1 turndown ratio means that a single flow meter or controller can handle a very wide range of flows, from 0.01-100% of the full scale of the instrument.
- Environmental stability: Mass flow control is not a function of temperature, so you can experiment with various operating temperatures (or turn on the air conditioning) without influencing your gas feeds.
- Flexible: Gas Select and high turndown in combination mean that a single Alicat flow controller can accomplish what would otherwise require multiple controllers. Plus, they’re fully configurable.
13 tools to use in planning for biologics scale-up
- Plan for FDA approvals
- Design for commercial production in a GMP cleanroom
- Strengthen your supply chain
- Classic Lean manufacturing: it’s not just for Toyota
- Maximize use of your pilot plants
- Standardize, preferably on single-use equipment
- Keep in mind the differences between biologics and small molecule APIs
- Opt for single-use equipment whenever possible
- De-risk your technology transfers
- Integrate and automate early
- Get everyone familiar with the regulatory landscape
- Scale down effectively
- Take advantage of non-GMP environments when you are able
Device Guide for Bioprocessing: Which Alicat do I need?
Alicat Scientific mass flow meters and controllers are highly configurable, which gives you the ability to customize your devices for specific application needs. For bioprocessing, this often means focusing on scalability and working within a highly controlled regulatory framework.
This device guide gives an overview of how Alicats are used in bioprocessing and compares three series of Alicats. We’ll also recommend devices for various settings and applications – benchtop research, pilot facilities, and GMP commercial production.
Flexibility, redundancy, and easy servicing minimize downtime for biologics manufacturers. The ability to use a single device for multiple gases at multiple flow rates without requiring recalibration in your lab, pilot plant, or cGMP production facility means that the device footprint stays small without any loss of capability or accuracy.
Mass flow meters and controllers which scale with your development help get your drugs to market, fast.
To learn more about Alicat Scientific's solutions,
Contact us today!